Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Cozy Snow Day

Winter didn't just come knocking here in Northeast PA, it came right in and made itself at home!  It was snowing when I rolled out of bed this morning at 7:30 - which was a delightful 'sleeping in' for me.  And now as I write this at 4pm, it is still snowing.  I've heard reports of anywhere between 2 and 7 inches across my county, and figure I myself have something in between.  So far - it's far from over.

Needless to say, but I'm going to say it anyway, my mother decided to reschedule her doctors appointments.  One for the beginning of February and one in March.  She also has one next Thursday, when another storm is supposed to blow through.  Given how this winter is shaping up in our area, I'm not sure we'll make the one in February - or March for that matter!

They are kind of important doctors appointments, but a delay won't hurt her too much.  She's been diagnosed with stage three kidney disease, and also has a partial blockage somewhere between a kidney and her bladder.  As of right now, I have no idea what that actually means except that she will be having some kind of surgery at some point.  Probably for a stint.  And maybe a net around her bladder as well; but that's for something else.

I would have expected to have gotten more writing done by this point of the day.  Mr. Janney came to bed about 6:30 this morning and I thought he would have slept past 11.  And he's been playing his game ever since.  Normally not a problem as I can ignore him with earplugs if I have to.  But he's interrupted me a few times asking me questions, or wanting me to do something on the computer for him (the GTA 5 cheat codes are not as easy as they were for 4!)  Not a big deal, just disruptive.  So I've been doing more social media things rather than actual writing.  Google+, Pinterest, a bit of Facebook (why did the post on my page about the #selfie I took do so well?  Seen by over 100 people?).  I ought to hit Twitter up again here soon.  I'm also trying to figure out Instagram.

Of course, it still doesn't help that I'm stuck in the same spot.  I've made progress though because I got the doctor in the room.  Then decided I better do the research I needed so my doctor doesn't sound like a hack.  And then there is Veronica Moore.  Her character is one that is tripping me up.  As a main antagonist, she can't be a caricature.  She needs to have depth and, well, for lack of a better term:  character.  Her stepson is still leery of her in the second book of my series, with good reason, and I have to overcome his hangup so I can get to know her better.  Even if he doesn't.  I'm just not sure I'm ready to face that darkness.

I just can't do "light and fluffy" romance.  Because none of my life has been "light and fluffy".  That's part of why I've added the touch of fantasy to the series.  Fantasy can be dark.  There is little of Craig and Angela's trauma that is autobiographical.  I never lost a brother as a child, and I was never sexually abused by my parents.  What I had was a sick father, a low self esteem, my own set of regular bullies at school, was overweight - which I still am.  In many ways, I've taken my 'raw deal' and did what any good author does...magnifies it and twists it until it no longer has any resemblance to the reality they know.  It's the only way I myself have been able to find any sort of healing from my childhood 'problems', not all of which I shared.  You don't need to know everything lol!

But it's the truth.  And I will overcome my own fear of Veronica Moore.  Just maybe not today.  In the mean time, I'm going to let you go for now.  I've gone on long enough.  I'll sign off with a picture I took of the rocks behind my home, and the neighbors chimney!



2014 ~ Full Speed Ahead!

#winter #writing #blogging

No comments:

Post a Comment