Monday, February 24, 2014

Multitasking, Pros and Cons...

There are some things in life that I can channel all my focus into at once.  Writing.  Reading.  Cooking.  CSI: NY.  Other things I have to 'multitask' at.  Like anything cleaning related.  Laundry and dishes are two big ones.  Picking up around a room can be thrown in there also.  I'm just not a tidy person, I fall behind in my chores quickly...mostly because I become too focused on things like writing and reading.  It bothers Mr. Janney, but not enough for him to help out with these chores so he doesn't complain.  Which is really kind of weird, but I guess we all have our quirks.  (Right +MJ Bush ?)

Maybe someday I'll even organize my books...
Today I have a few things I want to get out of the way before I focus on writing.  I thought I was done with the laundry until I started to tidy our shared computer room.  Only one sweater is mine, one sweatshirt of his, and random oddities that still make me scratch my head.  Like the box of plastic forks and spoons!  I have no idea where they came from or why they were on my bookshelf.  I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con of today's multitasking.

Some might find this the hard way to do things.  For me it's the best way.  I do dishes a bit at a time because
to stand at the sink too long hurts my lower back.  It always has.  It's probably something to do with the angel.  Silly I know, but hey - it works and why knock it if it works?  Like that thought? Give it a tweet!

Laundry is something I usually do one day on the weekend, but given our three day weekends recently and our less than reliable water flow - I do it whenever I can anymore.  And since the last time waiting until Monday bit me in the rear, I space it out over the three days now.  Whenever there's enough water pressure anyway.

I saw an infograph on Google+ today about how multitasking isn't good because it lessens the quality of your content.  When applied to being online, this may very well be true.  I really have to stop having an internet window open while I'm writing as it's distracting and therefore they person behind that that picture is very right.  (I'm not sure I could find it again to link)  I'll do some social media items while working on chores - even though like now I've been at the computer long enough that the dryer has been done for quite some time and I've neglected to go switch loads around.  And eventually, I'm going to have to learn to put my phone away as well, because those little alerts are just as distracting as an internet window.

Once I'm done here, and I get those weird little laundry surprises done along with some dishes, I'll be opening my files and writing away as I have the house to myself today.  Mr. Janney drove himself so I don't even have to worry about picking him up later.

It's a good day.



2014 ~ Emergence.

No comments:

Post a Comment