Sunday, March 30, 2014

What Dreams May Come

I have an overactive imagination.  No, really.  See, I have to be careful what shows or movies I watch because a lot of the times, they seep into my nighttime dreams.

This last "episode" was caused by The Raven starring John Cusack and Alice Eve.  It was a good enough movie, though not quite as scary as I thought it was going to be.  But still - still - it was enough for me to have gory dreams.  Really?  And let me tell you, ew!!  says it all.  I don't remember much of the plot of my silly dream, just that the bad guy was skinning the corpses of the people he'd killed.  And this from a movie I liked!

It's not the first time.  I had the same problem with Pitch Black, the first Riddick movie.  I loved the movie - but it took me watching it at least three times before I could do so without dreaming about the demon-like aliens in them!

I will even dream about books I've read.  The ending of the Wheel of Time series left me so unsettled - hello, Robert Jordan left us hanging!!! - that I've dreamt at least twice trying to come up with a 'better' ending.  Only I can't seem to do it!

Some people don't like hearing what others have dreamed.  They get down right frustrated with it.  I am not one of them.  Nothing amuses me more than sharing my latest crazy nighttime adventure with Mr. Janney the next morning, and when he has a crazy dream - which is less often then me - he'll return the favor and share his.  He was telling me just this morning about the crazy ones he had last night.  Volcanoes and zombies predominated the dreams.  The best one of his that I remember was he had dreamt he was some kind of contract killer and was going to get paid $90million dollars for the job.  I think I liked that one the most not because of the payday, but because in his dream I was the sharpshooter covering his back!

One thing I've noticed on Facebook is that I have at least two friends that share their dreams in their statuses.  I find it fun.  One even shared a dream his mother had shared with him!  That lucky woman dreamt about Brad Pitt!  So I know I'm not the only one that gets a kick out of sharing the wacky dreams we have.

Dreams are funny things. Sometimes they are our subconscious trying to work out a problem, other times it's just our imaginations running away with us.

When I was growing up, I had a reoccurring nightmare. Nothing as dramatic as I gave my characters in my novels.  No, in my dream, I would do something simple, like go for a short walk on our dusty dirt road - maybe a hundred yards or so - and then I would turn around and my home would be  GONE!  A child's insecurity perhaps.  Other times - well, what possible explanation could there be for dreaming about dinosaurs in the trailer park???

What is the craziest thing you've ever dreamed?

No comments:

Post a Comment