Friday, December 11, 2020

A Year in Review - Part 2

One of the things I like about driving truck across this country, are the photo opportunities. I've always like taking pictures, even back in the day when it was on film and you have to wait for them to come back from the developer. I'm pretty sure I have some old film floating around somewhere that's probably too old to be developed.

One thing I dislike about driving truck, is driving in winter weather. Although I have to admit that it can lead to just as impressive photo ops.

This first photo is from December 2019. Mr. Janney and I were trying to get a load to Utah, and the weather was not cooperating. We had tried avoiding going through Wyoming on 80, but there were also issues with 70 in Colorado. After a little pressure from dispatch, we rerouted through Wyoming and had to shut down again. Visibility was crap, and Mr. Janney had lost track of how many accidents he'd passed. It took two of us to find a parking spot, only to be kicked out of it because it was a reserved spot. So we had to back track until we found a parking only pull off with an opening. The weather had lifted by sunrise, as you can see in the photo.

When we have to sit for weather related reasons, one thing we both do is catch up on sleep. And I prefer to wait until daylight when it's snowing or raining. I don't always, but it is my preference. This time, I did sleep, especially since I had woke up to help find the parking spot. I was up in time for the Wyoming sunrise. Not only did I snag that pretty sunrise pic, but I managed to snap this pic of an early bird.

There were quite a few of these birds flitting about in the early morning light, but this one was in the best spot for a picture. I don't remember now if I managed to get it in one shot, or if I had to grab it from a short video. My hands aren't quite as steady as they used to be when it comes to picture taking anymore. I believe it was Mr. Janney's suggestion that I take short videos and then grab a picture from it that way.

I know that's how I grabbed this shot of a bird just two days later. It was at a rest area in an area without snow. I'm not sure if I had made it to Arizona yet or if I was still in Utah. Wherever it was, it was southern enough for there to be cacti. I'll post that picture just below.

At the time of composing this post, the worst problem we've run into this season has been high wind. We've had to sit more than a few times because either our load was too light to risk it or we had an empty trailer. I'm hoping we manage to miss the worst of it when we go back out after Thanksgiving.

One other thing I don't like about truck driving, is the inability to take pictures while I drive! Oh, the sights I have stored in my memory!

There was one morning, I was heading west. It was actually not too far from the same Wyoming parking area in the above picture, though not the same day. The sun was rising behind me, and the full moon was still above the western horizon. The misty clouds glowed pink around the setting moon. It was beautiful.

Going to sign off now with the picture of the cactus at the other rest area. See you around Christmas-time!


P.S. - I'm experimenting with fonts...leave a comment and tell me what you think of this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment