Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Shout Out to Cafe 316

My Mom <3
I'm not a restaurant or food critic by any stretch of the imagination, but I have just got to share my dining experience earlier this week.  My mother wanted to try Cafe 316 because she'd gotten a coupon for 10% off. I had no problem with this, as it's been on my list of things to do.  So before we headed to her doctor's appointment Monday afternoon, we stopped into this delightful little cafe.

Cafe 316 is located on Main St. Towanda Pennsylvania, almost directly across from the courthouse.  It is just one of many little restaurants on this strip of highway.  I'll be honest, I've never been in any of the others so I don't know how they compare.  All I know is that my mom and I were more than happy with our time there.

The dining room is decorated in pleasant colors, with a variety of paintings decorating the walls.  As you can see in the photo with my mom.  It was a step in-between homey and elegant without being fussy.

Roast beef panini and fries!
The menu was a simple piece of paper, lists on both sides. I can't even begin to tell you some of the gourmet food they have listed. Panini's and salads and even burgers that sounded like something off the Food Network.  (Someone needs to call Guy Fieri and have him do an episode here!)  My mother and I both had panini's, our first time ever having this sandwich and we were both happy with our choices.  The prices are decent too, especially since they could charge a lot more for some of their dishes.

Mine was a roast beef panini with apple slices and brie cheese.  Oddly enough, this was my first time having brie as well, and I think I might have maybe fallen in love!  I said to my mom, "Who would have thought of putting apples slices on a meat sandwich?"  It was delicious! 

Next time I want to try their Hawaiian Burger.  It sounds a little strange, but so did apples and roast beef.  I bet it'll be great.

I checked out their website and discovered that they have an online menu that you can view. 

And the plates our meal came on were heated.  I've heard of this, heating the plate keeps the warm food warmer longer.  It makes sense, but not everyone does it.
Simple elegance

Mom also loved the cloth napkins.  Let's be honest here, the paper napkins that most restaurants use these days are a bit flimsy.  Just being general here.  And she also loved the cup of coffee.  Not just because it was fresh brewed - she asked for decaf and they were out, how awesome is that?  But also because they were "real" cups!  "Those aren't teacups," she said, referring to the smaller cups that are often served elsewhere.  You can see it in the background of the pic I am sharing of the pretty table decorations.  Along with a little pitcher for our creamer!


Yeah, Mom's coffee smelled so good I ended up ordering a cup for myself.  Decaf, of course, since it was noon and I didn't want to have any more caffeine because that late in the day it would give me issues with trying to go to bed.  4AM comes way too early.

Dessert was strawberry shortcake, but because of the one negative element of the visit, I wasn't able to take a picture of the pretty dish.  Sadly, I had a message from a friend wanting to talk to me about concerns she had for a relative of mine, and Mom and I felt that it might be urgent so I gave the woman my number. Looking back, it could have waited, but we didn't know that at the time.

I felt so rude, but our server never let it bother her.  She was great by the way. Unlike myself as I can't even remember her name.  It started with A.  She managed to time things just right too, so that we never felt harassed or in want.

So if you're traveling through downtown Towanda and need to grab a bite to eat, I highly recommend stopping in at Cafe 316.  You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment