Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Whose Voice is it Anyway?

 

One of my new winter hats

I hope you can forgive the cutesy title, and that Whose Line doesn't sue me for trademark infringement! I've been watching so much Whose Line is it Anyway before bed that they've crept into my dreams, and let me tell you - those comedians on Chopped would be hilarious! They were a riot in my dream!

Obviously, the voice I'm trying to regain and exercise is my own.

So much of my life is spent silent and mute. Even when I'm part of a conference call between two other drivers, I spend most of my time just listening. I'm not sure if I honestly don't have anything to contribute to the conversation, or if I'm just too tired to get a word in edgewise. What would it tell you though, if I were to say that I'm the only female on this phone call? Although to be fair to both men, it's hard having a 'fair' conversation between more than two people.

I mean, we've all been in conversations where the talk just kind of flows around us. And even if we try to say something, or tell a story, all too often we're interrupted...and no one even notices. 

Most of the time, instead of on the phone with these two drivers, I'd much rather be listening to an audiobook. Even though one is my husband.

I've been far too introspective since the last audiobook I listened to. "Finding Me" by Viola Davis. When a friend suggested that I use an old journal to write my memoirs, I balked at first because - well, I didn't really know what a memoir was. Even after I looked up the dictionary definition, I still wasn't sure. So I decided that maybe I should read some. Or in my case listen to them, since the bulk of my 'reading' is listening to audiobooks while I drive. So far, I've listened to two. At least, I think "Not Just Me" by Lisa Jakub counts as a memoir. Maybe not.

Either way, Viola Davis convinced me that someday I should write a memoir someday. Her story made me feel less alone, and even though I'm nobody famous, I like to think that my memoir would make someone else feel less alone too. Even though my story isn't all that unique or terrible, it's still my story.

Just another thing to put on my list of things to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment