Friday, November 4, 2022

Posts About Nothing

 So, Robin, what do you plan to write about now that you're going to try blogging again? Any specific topics? What are your grand plans there?

Absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip.

That's one area I'm not going to put pressure on myself about. I'm just gonna write about the mood of the day. Banal inanities if I have to. I looked that up to make sure I had the definitions correct for banal and inanities, and yep - it translates to "boring nonsense". Maybe it'll bring amusement to someone somewhere.

So in my last post I mentioned the wash machine was singing its song. And I figured now would be as good a time as any to tell the story of how I'm actually glad to be hearing that little ditty.


At the beginning of August, we had an out of state family wedding to go to. Due to reasons I won't go into here, after some scheduling rearrangements, Mom was going to be riding up with Mr. Janney and I. She was going to be remaining up there to spend a few weeks with her sister afterward, and when the remodeling at her home was done I'd be returning to bring her back.

Fast forward to that day. It was going to be a day trip. I was going to go up early enough to spend the afternoon with whatever of my NY family was home, have dinner with them and then come home. Mr. Janney hadn't come with me because it was one of his work days; sadly we don't have days off together right now. And so, because this trip was going to change my weekly routine, he decided to be nice and do some laundry.

Imagine my frustration when he called in the middle of dinner asking for help because the washing machine wasn't working properly! He tried describing what it was doing, not spinning the way it should - just kind of jerking back and forth. It wasn't throwing up the code for an unbalanced load, and he'd tried moving things around anyway. He turned on the video portion of the call to show me what it was doing and it was definitely doing a new move.

Keep in mind, I'm roughly 2.5-3 hours away from home. There's only so much I can do remotely, especially since the app for diagnosis is on my phone. I told him to just leave things the way they were and I'd look into when I got home or the next day.

Even when I used my app. there were still no codes. In fact, the one it gave me when I ran the diagnostic said there was nothing wrong. Well, quite clearly there is. It's not cycling at all, just doing a violent wobble. I tried called the 800 number and the call kept dropping. I managed to have an online text chat with a representative and they finally said, 'yeah, we can't do anything more this way. we'll send someone out.'

In the mean time, we were doing our laundry up to his parents. Well, I say 'we' but it was actually Mr. Janney who took the laundry up on his days off and washed them. He even took care of the drying when he brought the wet clothes back home so I could sleep for work. Except for that one time when he was helping his dad and it was his mom who finished washing them. I don't know if I've ever said a proper thank you to her, so Mom Janney here's a THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for letting us borrow your washing machine.

The technician came and did a diagnostic on our machine on one of my days off while Mr. Janney was working. I can't help but wonder how the conversation would have went had the Man of the House been home. The Tech told me that it was the rear bearings and would cost almost as much as a new machine for them to replace them because it would take 2 of them to change them over the course of 4 hours. And the same if we just ordered the parts and changed them ourselves.

I'm not sure where they would be ordering their parts from. but I got mine off Ebay for about $40. I'm not sure how long it took Justin to change them, but he took the machine out to a friend's place where there would be more room so it was a bit of a process. It was an interesting process to be sure. He managed to get it out of the house on his own, and a neighbor helped him to get it from the steps and onto the back of the truck. I'm still gimpy but I managed to help him get it back in. And out again a second time, but I'm betting ahead of myself.

Needless to say, the diagnosis was incorrect. The machine still didn't work and was in fact still doing its violent shimmy, Mr. Janney visited a couple different places in town, asking if they worked on front load smart washers. The one place told him that they didn't even touch the newer machines at all. The second place said they worked on them, but there was no guarantee as they weren't fond of them either. Only they didn't do house calls, we'd have to take the machine to them and pay a fee up front. Which we did.

And fix it they did.

It was a loose wire in the RPM sensor. They weren't able to order a new wire harness for it, so they just soldered the wire back in place and didn't charge anything more. No promise to how long it would last. So we brought it back home and put it back to work.

I kid you not, the thing works better than it did before it broke. We've always had trouble with the machine not wanting to finish loads and not wringing the clothes out as thoroughly as it did in the very beginning. The techs back then just said, 'yeah those front loaders have that problem if the load isn't balanced. You need to be be make sure your loads are balanced.' Etc. Etc.

I wonder how long that wire was loose?!?!?! And we were basically being told that it was all in our heads!!!! At any rate, the machine is fixed and that's all the matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment